Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jesse K: My Top Ten Albums Between 1980 and 1989

Well ok, its gonna be top 12 deal with it. These are my Top 10(12) albums released between January 1st 1980 and December 31st 1989. They are, for the most part, in order.

*12) Stray Cats - Built for Speed (1982) Really only for containing "Rock This Town". Does have some really good ones though.

*11) The Cult - Love (1985) Missed the top ten only because I don't own it and it only has a handful of songs I like. However one of those is "She Sells Sanctuary', and that's a really big one. (She Sells... in top 100 songs)

10) George Jones - I Am What I Am (1980) I also don't own this one, yet I have most of the songs from some greatest hits and whatnot. But it contains "He Stopped Loving Her Today", so top ten. (He Stopped Loving Her top 50 songs)

9) Black Flag - Damaged (1981) A classic punk album that inspired millions. (Favorite songs Rise Above, TV Party, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie)

8) Dwight Yokam - Guitars Cadillacs Etc (1986) The last true honky tonk singer. What can I say I love this album (Favorite songs Honky Tonk Man, Guitars, Cadillacs, It Wont Hurt, Ring of Fire{Johnny Cash cover})

7) The Exploited - Horror Epics (1985) Good old Hardcore Punk before Hardcore was cool. All you modern day Hardcore fans that don't know your history past Hatebreed need to check this shit, cause this shit is the shit. (Favorite songs Don't Forget the Chaos, Down Below, Maggie)

6) The Misfits - Walk Among Us (1982) Classic album from The Misfits. I think sadly too many people say they listen to The Misfits without actually listening to them. (Favorite songs I Turned into a Martian, Skulls, Astro Zombies)

5) Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986) Now we're getting down to business! What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said, classic, masterpiece, intense, angry all you could want in a thrash classic. (Favorite songs Raining Blood, Angel of Death, Alter of Sacrifice, Criminally Insane)

4) Mercyful Fate - Melissa (1983) If you don't know about this band then well you don't know your metal history very well. Not saying you have to like'em just saying you should know who they are since they influenced... well everyone in metal, thrash, black, power, progressive metal. Awesome musicianship, the vocals... either ya love them or hate them. (Favorite songs Curse of the Pharaohs, Satan's Fall, At the Sound of the Demon Bell)

3) Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions (1988) Another one of those groups people say they like/listen to when they really don't. Damn shame too, deep meaningful lyrics, innovative beats for the time. True music to rebel to as opposed to the manufactured rebellion music of today. (Favorite songs Bring the Noise, Rebel Without a Pause, Don't Believe the Hype, Prophets of Rage)

2) The Highwaymen - Highwayman (1985) A country music super group that won't be rivaled anytime soon by current country music. Four musicians that gelled perfectly together and made some of the best music that will ever be heard. They only released two other cds but they could have stopped with this one and their legacy would be just as strong. (Favorite songs Highwayman, The Last Cowboy Song, Committed to Parkview, Jim I Wore a Tie Today, Big River)

1) Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (1986) When most metal was either sex and drugs or devils and demons this band decided to talk about what is real. So sprang forth thousands of modern day metal bands that owe their existence to this band. (Favorite songs Good Morning/Black Friday, Peace Sells..., Devils Island, My Last Words)

There you have it. My top albums of the 80's. Believe my when I say this was a lot more difficult then I thought it would be. I changed the top three around so many times I about had a three way tie, but that wouldn't have been fair. Doing a list for the 90's is going to be hell, but its coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment